Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Par-tay (like it's 1929)

Was awesome.

We had so much fun and so much food and so much booze!! All for under 100 bones! I supplied the hardboiled eggs, hamburgers, hot dogs, mac and cheese for the kids and potato salad and everyone else brought either a food item or a beverage item and we had tons of food left over. People were able to take more food home than they brought. I'll never understand the math of potlucks...but whatever, it works and everyone was happy.

Here are a few things I did for the party that I would normally never do but saved me a shitload of money.

1) Instead of buying juices and sodas for the kids, I went super old school ghetto and bought 5 packets of Hawiian Punch at 20 cents a piece. I had 4 pitchers of punch and no one went thirsty or complained.

2) I had potatoes in the pantry that had maybe 3 more days before their little eyes started bugging out. I found a recipe online for a potato salad and whipped up one of the best potato salads ever, if I do say so myself. Well, at least, that is what Bill said. Plus I had all of the ingredients in my pantry. I also used all of the hard boiled eggs that were cracked for the egg decorating. Nothing went to waste.

3) I served beverages in large red plastic cups and sharpied everyones name on their cup. One guest, one cup. I have to say, this was probably one of the most brilliant things I have ever thought of, EVER. Not only did we not run out of cups, but people (including kids) seemed to be more responsible drinkers. How do I know? I did not have to pour out and throw away half full cups. Most of the cups I grabbed were empty because people didn't set their drink down and forget which was theirs.

4) We saved all of the plastic eggs, baskets and bags for next years party...

1 comment:

  1. Have read all your posts and I have to say, I'm so proud of you! Way to go! Maybe I'll take your lead and try this too some day. Keep up the hard work! It's almost over!

    ReplyDelete