Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Easter Egg Hunting

Armed with the $100 I withdrew from the coffers in March for our post Easter Party, Cole and I ventured forth to hunt the retail sales for our discounted Easter themed supplies. I figured I would spend 30 bucks on grass, baskets, eggs, and fillers and the rest would go towards food for the party. I've gotten pretty good at sniffing out a sale and I had no doubt that throwing a party for 100 bucks for over 20 people would be a fairly easy.

First, in my defense, I had no idea just how much the recession has impacted all of us. We went to store after store looking for anything that had a bunny on it. Lets just say the real Easter Egg Hunt occured days before the actual party. I almost felt like George Bush looking for his imaginary weapons, they were no where to be found. Not one measly plastic egg, not one cheap and garish basket and not one glimmer of Easter dye could be located. I went to Target, Michaels, Walmart, Party City and Vons. Everywhere we went, we were shocked at the pastel-less landscape.

WTF? According to a sales person, they didn't stock up as much this year and they didn't restock because of the economy, they were out of Easter crap before Easter. I found my holy grail at CVS. The sale prices were not nearly as orgasmic as they were last year, (items were up to 90% off(schwing!)). Not this year, the remaining paltry items were only reduced by 50%. I took my reaming like a trooper and we set up shop in the office and went to work filling up all of the now precious easter eggs with the even more precious easter filler. We spent around $40 bones, not the best I've ever done, but certainly, by far, not the worst.

I'd like to give a nod, a middle finger and a hearty fuck you to all the greedy bastards on Wall Street for almost ruining Easter for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment